Scams, Fraud, Misleading Packaging And Advertising Can Be Costly

Nothing is more frustrating than not getting the product or service you thought you paid for. Many people try to resolve the dispute on their own with the supplier of the product, however, they are unable to without the help of a lawyer. The Virginia Consumer Protection Act of 1977 (VCPA) provides regulations for fair and ethical practices for those providing individuals products, goods and services for family, household or personal use.

You have a right to accurate information and to get what you thought you paid for, whether you bought equipment, products — including pets in some cases — supplies or services. When you are unable to get work it out, you have a right to sue in court for damages.

At Hyatt Browning Shirkey Law Firm, PLC, in Roanoke, we can help you to pursue fair compensation. We have helped the western district of Virginia with trusted consumer legal representation since 2010. We have the knowledge you need to protect your consumer rights.

Understanding Virginia's Consumer Protection Act

Under the VCPA, it is unlawful for businesses and individuals to:

  • Misrepresent the source, certification, sponsorship or approval by another of goods or services
  • Fraudulently associate or affiliate their product with another
  • Provide incorrect information about their product's geographic origin, ingredients, uses, benefits or characteristics
  • Misrepresent the quantity, quality, style, model or grade of a product or service
  • Omit labeling for used, secondhand, defective, reconditioned, altered, modified or irregular goods
  • Advertise products or services with the wrong prices or terms of sale
  • Use incorrect invoices or bills
  • Fail to provide clear information conspicuously posted about return of goods for credit, exchange or a refund

The regulations broadly include any other misrepresentation, fraud, false pretense or promise, and deception relating to a consumer transaction.

You Have A Limited Time To File A Claim; Call Us Today

If you are unable to resolve your conflict with a supplier of goods or services, you must file your claim within two years of the disputed incident. You can file a claim to recover your actual damages, or up to $500, whichever is greater to cover your losses. If the violation is found to be willful, the court may increase damages up to $1,000. In addition to damages, you may be awarded court costs and attorney fees. If you have suffered a loss because of a violation of the VCPA, call Hyatt Browning Shirkey Law Firm, PLC, at 540-613-8431 or email us.