Giving Every Client The Same Level Of Service
We Would Provide For A Family Member.

Is Your Child Facing Charges In Roanoke Juvenile And Domestic Court?

As a parent, you never want your child to become entangled with juvenile law. Unfortunately, sometimes as a result of a custody dispute, allegations of domestic violence, suspicion of neglect or delinquency charges, situations can arise where your child is facing a variety of legal consequences. Our attorney at Hyatt Browning Shirkey Law Firm, PLC, can provide knowledgeable guidance and representation when you are facing these types of situations.

In Virginia, the Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court (JDR) governs all legal matters affecting those aged 18 and under. With a court in every Virginia city and county, JDR courts resolve a unique blend of all areas involving the youth across the state.

Experienced Representation For Resolving Delinquency Charges

When an offense is charged as delinquent, it means that if the offender was an adult, it would be charged as a criminal offense. As a result, such offenses can carry profound consequences, including time in a juvenile correctional facility, steep fines, the start of a criminal record, the loss of driving privileges and more. We assist with numerous offenses, including:

  • Driving offenses, including driving without a license
  • Drug or alcohol-related offenses, including DUI, possession of drugs and underage drinking
  • Traffic violations, including reckless driving and traffic tickets
  • Other crimes, including domestic violence, assault, theft and more

A conviction for any charge can significantly affect your teenager as they grow closer to their adult years. We are sensitive to the challenges associated with these cases. The start of your child’s criminal record could affect their future college and employment opportunities. We prioritize efficiently arriving at a resolution that is in their best interests and minimizes potentially harsh consequences.

Counsel And Guidance Through Child Protective Services (CPS) Investigations

It’s not uncommon for adults to enter into a CPS investigation thinking that there is nothing to worry about. Too many people only seek help once they know the case has gone bad. CPS is not required to notify you when they speak with the child or other family members, they are only required to notify you when a report is filed against you. If were contacted by Child Protective Services, the best thing you can do is hire an attorney right at the start. We can help protect your rights and make sure you are treated fairly throughout the process.

Protecting Your Parental Rights

Virginia’s Department of Social Services works closely with the JDR. Welfare and social service agencies have wide discretion and power to govern how you raise your children. In situations of domestic violence, or if abuse or neglect is suspected, Child Protective Services investigations can result in your legal relationship with your child being severed. You may have to sign a contract called a safety plan. They can request a judge issue a protective order against you or put your child into foster care. To avoid termination of your parental rights, our lawyer can help you understand your rights and options if a social service agency has contacted you.

At Hyatt Browning Shirkey Law Firm, PLC, we understand the emotions involved in these cases. We have more than a decade of experience in assisting individuals and families across Virginia. We understand how sensitive these issues can be and how important it is to retain your relationship with your child. When legal matters concern your children, do not wait to speak with an attorney. Schedule a free phone consultation at our Roanoke office. Contact us by calling 540-613-8431 or by sending us an email.

Contact Us For Help

When legal matters affect those closest to you, contact our firm. With a focus on compassionate, comprehensive counsel, we will strive to arrive at an optimal outcome no matter the legal issue you are facing with regard to your children. Our attorney will listen to both the facts of the case and your concerns. He will provide you with your options to enable you to make informed decisions. Schedule a free phone consultation at our office in Roanoke by calling 540-613-8431 or by emailing us with our online form.


Attorney Shirkey Featured in Roanoke Juvenile Domestic Relations Court – What to Expect Video (3:15)

Attorney Hyatt Browning Shirkey